It’s no secret electric knives are a great kitchen helper. Although typically brought out during holidays to carve turkey or ham, they can come in handy for many other uses.
In fact, electric knives are helpful on a daily basis for slicing fresh baked bread or cutting any type of meat. These knives take what can be a tedious chore and turn that chore into something quick and fun.
Electric knives were quite popular in the 70s and while some folks have dismissed them as relics, there are also folks who still use them frequently. Given technological advances, you’ll also find that the electric knives certainly aren’t the same today as they were back then.
There are dozens of brands and types on the market so choosing one can be daunting. It doesn’t have to be. It’s a simple matter of deciding what knife best suits your needs, determining your budget and then using this product guide to help you select the best electric knife.
Reviews – Best Electric Knives
Black & Decker is well-recognized name in household appliances. It’s one that is trust for high quality and this electric knife is no exception. With a 9-inch offset serrated blades and an ergonomically designed handle, this is a great choice for cutting meats, bread and the manufacturer states this knife can be used to cut craft foam, as well. The blades are removable with an easy one-button push and they are also dishwasher safe.
- Sturdy and well-built.
- Safety lock feature which will prevent the knife from turning on while plugged in.
- Rated one of the best electric knives on the market by America’s Test Kitchen.
- Doesn’t work well slicing frozen items.
- It may be difficult for some to insert the blades; requires a bit of strength.
- While the handle is ergonomically designed, it may be difficult to handle if you have exceptionally small hands; the handle is a bit large.
This electric knife from NutriChef has an 8.9′-inch blade made of stainless steel. Included is a blade for cutting meats and another for cutting bread. The knife also works well for other types of food prep. This is a lightweight electric knife with an ergonomic handle and because of the handle design, there is no chance of your hand slipping onto the blades. The blades are easy to clean as they are dishwasher safe and the operation is simple with the push of a button.
- Works well with frozen items.
- The grip is comfortable.
- There is a safety button to keep the knife locked when plugged in.
- The cord is rather short.
- The blades are a bit difficult to get in.
- If the handle gets wet or greasy, it becomes very slippery.
This is a lightweight electric knife that comes with stainless-steel blades. It works nicely for meats, bread, cheeses as well as other foods. It has a simple to use button to release the blades, the blades are dishwasher safe and there is an included protective sleeve for storing the blades. Assembly is easy with only a few steps.
- Can be used for crafts such as cutting foam.
- It’s durable and sturdy.
- The handle is comfortable and has a nice grip.
- The button placement isn’t convenient and makes it somewhat difficult to keep running.
- It’s not suitable for cutting frozen items.
- Can overheat if used for prolonged periods of time.
This model comes with 2 serrated blades made of stainless steel, is simple to use and has a nice, sleek design. It will work with meats, bread and cheeses. It is one of the least expensive models on our list. It features a one push eject button, the ability to slice in various thicknesses and the blades are dishwasher safe. It offers precision cutting at an affordable price.
- Works well for crafts such as cutting foam.
- The blades are nice and sharp.
- It’s sturdy.
- The blades are a bit difficult to get in place.
- Some may find the location of the “trigger” awkward.
- Does take some force to cut through thick cuts of meat.
With a convenient storage case, a stainless steel serving fork and stainless steel sharp blade this is a great option. It cuts through meats and bread precisely. It has a compact design and the included case makes it easy to store. Since your blades also store in the case, there is no digging around in a drawer for anything sharp. The blades and fork are dishwasher safe.
- Easy to care for and clean.
- Powerful cutting action.
- Runs fairly quietly.
- This electric knife is a bit heavier than other models.
- The handle can get hot with prolonged use.
- The buttons could be better located.
A different model than our previous listing and a few dollars cheaper but still a great Hamilton Beach product. This one also comes with a case in white along with stainless steel blade and a stainless steel serving fork. The case keeps everything in one place and is small enough to make storage simple. This knife works well for meats and bread.
- Powerful cutting action.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble.
- Easy to clean.
- Let this knife work for you; too much pressure will cause it to overheat.
- The trigger must be held down the entire time you’re slicing; can get tiring.
- Seems necessary to move slow with this knife for best results so it’s a bit time consuming.
With the Bella electric knife, you get two 7.75-inch blades – one for bread and the other for meats. The manufacturer states you can also use this cut fruit. It does come with a storage case. The knife features an easy release button for the blades and it makes nice, precise slices.
- The storage case is rather flat making it easy to fit in most drawers.
- The red is a nice color.
- The blades lock into place easily.
- While it works well, it does feel a bit flimsy and not as durable as other models.
- The blades can be a bit difficult to get locked into place.
- Not the best choice for thick/tough meats or vegetables.
While the Mister Twister is made for fisherman, don’t let that stop you from giving it a try. It will work on fish of almost any size and other meats as well as bread. It makes precise cuts with little effort. It does have a safety lock and an easy to use release mechanism for the blade.
- It’s a lightweight electric knife.
- The handle is comfortable.
- Blades can be sharpened if needed without having to purchase replacement blades.
- The cord is short.
- If you’ve used this brand before, some familiar users may find this model doesn’t have the power of previous Mister Twister models.
- May not work as desired if cutting through bone.
Another electric knife aimed at fisherman but one that should not be overlooked as it works well with carving meats and slicing bread, too. The blade is dishwasher safe and 7.5 inches long. Vibration is lessoned by the handle design making it comfortable to use. The motor is powerful yet quiet.
- It has an 8-foot power cord.
- It works quickly.
- Powerful cutting action.
- Due to its speed, it is recommended you go slow if you’re a first-time user; get familiar with the knife.
- It’s a bit expensive.
- The motor can get a bit too hot after prolonged use.
This comes with an attractive wooden block storage system that would look nice on a countertop. You also get two stainless steel blades – one for bread and the other for carving meats. The blades are easily exchanged and easy to clean. It features an easy to operate on/off switch and the handle has a nice ergonomic design. There is also a safety lock feature.
- The wooden block storage is secure and keepsthings in place well.
- It’s comfortable to hold.
- Easy assembly and disassembly.
- Manufacturer recommends handwashing the blades; could try the dishwasher but you might not want to risk it.
- It is a bit pricey.
- The blades don’t seem quite as sturdy when cutting tough/thick meats.
While relatively inexpensive, electric knives are still considered important appliances for your home. You’ll want to do your research. You may be asking yourself if there are even any benefits to electric knives and the answer is yes! Consider these advantages:
- Speed– most everyone wishes to save time in the kitchen. Think about this – you can spend 10 minutes carving a turkey with a regular knife or only a couple of minutes with an electric knife. More time cutting or more time with family? Easy choice!
- Precision – get perfectly cut slices of meat with an electric knife.
- Energy saving– cutting with an electric knife saves on energy for you! Less exertion makes cutting meat less of a burdensome chore.
A few benefits worth considering, yes? We think so. So, what are your options for an electric knife? There are various brands and models but there are certain criteria that should fit for any knife your purchase:
- Blades– most models will come with at least one blade for cutting meat. Other models may come with blades for meats and bread. If you want blades for both, make sure the model you’ve chosen comes with them or that you have the option of purchasing additional blades from the manufacturer.
- Handle/Grip– old electric knives used to vibrate so much it could actually cause pain. That isn’t the case these days. They are much easier to handle now and you’ll find handles designed in a more ergonomic fashion. Comfort is key so be sure to look carefully at the handle design to be sure it’s a good fit for you.
- Corded vs. Cordless– cordless models offer a certain bit of freedom obviously but they also require charging or battery replacements. This can sometimes be a hassle. Corded electric knives may limit you to one place but it’s a simple matter of plugging it in and getting to work – no batteries required.
Once you’ve determined your needs, remember also to check on items like the warranty and return policies. As previously stated, these may be “only knives” but they are an electric appliance. Be sure you’re covered for replacements parts and/or repairs as well as knowing if a knife can be returned in the event it doesn’t suit your needs.
Whether you plan to use an electric knife for special occasions only or if you have the need to use one daily, know these knives are all about convenience. They are quite handy to have in your kitchen and will shorten the amount of time you’ll spend prepping food and carving meat.
As a note of caution, it may take a bit of trial and error to find an electric knife that fits your hand properly and comfortably. Be patient and don’t give up! There are many styles available. You can also count on finding one that fits your budget as there is a model in every price range. Less time in the kitchen, more time with your family and budget-friendly? There is simply no reason at all not to give one a try!